Friday, April 2, 2010

With Vanessa Miller

What is your favorite memory from when you were a teenager?

Spending time with my father. He passed away when I was seventeen… I didn’t realize how special my time with him was until I didn’t have it anymore.

I love spending time with my dad, too. What did you enjoy doing the most as a teenager?

I loved to dance and hang out with my friends. I don’t know why, those were just the things that seemed the most fun to me.

What was your most embarrassing moment as a teenager?

When my grandmother caught me trying to skip school. My mother was out of town and I thought that was the perfect time to hang out at a park with my sister and one of my cousins. But my grandmother wasn’t going for that… let’s just say that was the first and last time I ever tried anything like that.

What was your favorite midnight snack?

Pizza. Still is, so let’s get to the next question because I’m on a diet right now. 

What would you do if you found a blue and orange polka dotted panda in your living room one morning?

Probably scream and then open the door so it could leave. Sorry, I don’t like pets, so I wouldn’t keep it.

What kind of books did you enjoy reading as a teenager?

I enjoyed mysteries and romances. As a matter of fact, I still enjoy reading those kind of books.

When did you first discover that you were a writer?


I’ve been writing since I was about nine years old. I started out writing poems, then short stories, stage plays and finally novels. I always knew that I would be a writer, but when I was a kid I had no idea how to accomplish my goal.

Who is your favorite character in Yesterday’s Promise?

I loved Melinda’s character because she was so complex. She was a preacher with issues of unforgiveness that stemmed from broken promises that had been made by her mother, ex-fiancé and her father. She was an interesting character study. I enjoyed watching as she resolved her issues and gave love a second chance.

What was the hardest part of Yesterday’s Promise to write?


Yesterday’s Promise deals with women in ministry. Since I know that this is a topic not everyone agrees on, I wanted to address the controversy but also find a way to some women believe they have every right to preach the gospel. I was very careful with those parts of the story because I wanted to make sure I told both sides of the story.

What is your favorite verse? Why?

I have been young and now I am old, but I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread.

I was twenty six and a single mother when I gave my life to the Lord. I worried about not having enough to provide for my daughter, but when I read that scripture, I stopped worrying.

What advice would you give to today’s high school and college girls?


My advice is simply. Stay in school, don’t try to grow up too fast, but take time to enjoy the moment.

Do you have another book coming out soon? If so, can you tell us a bit about it?

I have (4) books releasing this year:

Yesterday’s Promise April 2010
Forgiven June 2010
A Love for Tomorrow September 2010
Long Time Coming November 2010

Readers, here is the book trailer for Yesterday's Promise:



Vanessa Miller is giving away a copy of Yesterday's Promise. To be entered in the book giveaway, leave a comment and check back on Sunday, April 11th to see if you've won. You can enter twice--once on each post in this spotlight. If you want to guarantee that you're notified if you win, then leave your email address in the comment.

3 comments:

Rita Garcia said...

Fantastic job, Esther! I enjoyed the interview, the questions were good, and enjoyed reading Vanessa's answers. Hugs, Rita

Linda said...

Please enter me for your book. Thank you.
Question: Are the 4 additional books sequels to this one? HOW are you able to keep your storylines separate???

desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

a wonderful posting....please include me in your giveaway...thanks

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com