Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Out With the In Crowd

Hey guys! Have you read any good books in the last week or so? I have, and the name of one of them is Out With the In Crowd, by Stephanie Morrill.

Out With the In Crowd is a excellent teen girls' book and the second book in the series The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt. Today I'm going to give you the back cover blurb and the first page, and later on this week, I'll post my review of it, so don't forget to check back here later! Here you go, enjoy!


She knew changing her life wouldn't be easy, but she never expected it to be this hard.

Skylar Hoyt may have vowed to change her partying ways, but it's not so easy to change her friends. Even thought the old Skylar is gone, she's still not sure who this new Skylar really is. Add to that two parents battling for her loyalty, a younger sister struggling with a crisis pregnancy, and a new boyfriend wishing for more of her time, and Skylar feels like she can't win. After all, how do you choose favorites among the people you love most?

And here is the first page of Out With the In Crowd:

Chapter One

All winter break, I’d planned for this moment, the one about to happen.

“Hey,” Eli said as we passed each other in the hall.

I intended to say hello back, to smile like things between us hadn’t changed, but something inside me bristled. I locked my jaw, turned away from his hypnotic smile, and picked up the pace.

Then I mentally kicked my butt as I sped toward my locker. That was not how it should’ve gone.

For starters, when I saw Eli for the first time this semester, I intended to be hanging off Connor’s arm, transfixed by him and unaware of Eli’s presence. Since Connor and I rode to school together, I assumed this would be easy to arrange. If only Connor hadn’t questioned whether he’d locked his car, then abandoned me here in the hall to run and check, things might have gone as planned.

Secondly, I should’ve been casual and cool. A simple, “Hey.” A killer smile. But really, anything would’ve been better than avoiding eye contact and rushing off. Especially because I couldn’t avoid Eli for long. We had first period together.

But deviating from the Eli plan did have its perks. It gave me something to focus on besides what possibly awaited me down the hall. When I chose my locker at the beginning of the year—seemingly a lifetime ago—it never occurred to me that my friends might no longer be my friends. That Jodi, Alexis, Lisa, Eli, and John would become the five people I wished most to avoid.


I was thrilled when I found out, several weeks ago, that I had won Out With the In Crowd at Patterings, where there is another book giveaway going on right now. Christa Allen is doing an interview and her book, Walking On Broken Glass, is being given away, and it sounds really good. You can check it out here.

No comments: